The Dangers of Consuming Antifreeze for Your Pet Pup

Year after year, many pups fall victim to antifreeze poisoning. Ethylene glycol is a toxic ingredient that can cause such incidents. If you don’t know what this substance is, we will tell you how to identify it. Ethylene glycol is a coloured vehicle fluid found in the radiator. Also, it is a key component of brake fluids, antifreeze, etc.

While we humans know consuming Ethylene glycol loaded fluids can jeopardize our health, our fur babies are unaware of the same. They can conveniently lick the fluid spills below the car on the garage floor, not knowing the consequences of tasting it. The problem is that puppies can be attracted to these fluids because they can taste and smell sweet.

Accidents, toxic ingestion, and other health emergencies are not uncommon in a puppy household, which is why puppy parents must always be financially prepared. Dog insurance can cover your furry baby’s diagnosis and treatment during unforeseen medical scenarios. Consider buying cheap pet insurance, so you don’t have to take the entire financial stress on yourself to get your puppy cured in such times.

Meanwhile, read this article to know some of the immediate and gradual symptoms of pet poisoning due to antifreeze. This information can help you identify the poisoning signs and seek treatment for your pup asap.

How much antifreeze consumption can be too much for my pet pup?

Antifreeze can be toxic irrespective of how much your pet pup consumes. Whether a few sips or spoonfuls, the puppy must deal with its adverse effects. So, watch what your puppy is up to now and then. Also, ensure they don’t get their paws or mouth on potentially fatal substances in and around the home.

Symptoms in the short term

The signs and severity of antifreeze poisoning depend on the quantity of antifreeze ingested by your fur companion. You can spot early signs within minutes of fluid ingestion. However, blood toxin levels can peak in a few hours.

Check for the below-mentioned signs if your puppy has licked antifreeze in your garage or driveway.

  • Appears intoxicated
  • Panting
  • Vomiting
  • Seizures
  • Lack of body coordination
  • Excessively thirsty
  • Excessively urinating

Even when the symptoms seem like they fade away after twelve hours, the toxic ingredients can still damage your puppy’s organs and body from the inside. For instance, it can cause a puppy’s kidneys to dysfunction, and the effects can be irreversible.

Symptoms in the long term

As we already said, antifreeze can impair parts of the kidneys due to crystal formation and eventually lead to pet mortality. Apart from the negative impact on the kidneys, puppy owners most likely notice the below-mentioned signs a day after ingestion or sooner.

  • Dehydration
  • Ulcers in the oral cavity
  • Excessive salivation
  • Appetite loss
  • Unable to urinate
  • Swollen kidneys
  • Pain in the abdomen

It is easy to save a poisoned pup by providing medical care right in the early stage. In contrast, waiting for your puppy to get alright naturally, medical negligence, etc., can cost your furry precious’ life.

Consider using pet-safe radiator fluid alternatives and purchasing a dog insurance policy, so your puppy is safeguarded in either case. You must know that many cheap pet insurance policies are available online, so contemplate signing up for a pet plan because it is best not to risk your puppy’s health and savings in your bank account.


Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button